Monday, March 10, 2008

Great Expectations

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The sagebrush are tumbling and the wind is blowing mightily. It's really lovely here, but I do wish I were home with my hubby in my cozy house with the smell of coffee brewing. I'm traveling for work this week, which means that I already miss my kitchen terribly.

This is going to be a very busy week for me. Not only are the work demands high, but I am also hosting a baby shower brunch for my good friend Annie. The shower isn't until Saturday, so I have a few days left to prepare. This could be tricky since I'm 5 states away. The good news is that the details are well planned out. The cooking and baking are really the "open items", but that can't happen until Friday/Saturday - now can it? So, I'm forcing myself to relax and await the weekend. I also have the luxury of relying on my good friend Frannie to help. So, in theory, this weekend should come off without a hitch.

Shower brunch menu, what shall I serve? My thoughts are hovering around some lovely quiches, fritatas, muffins, strawberry butter, fresh fruit, simple green salad - to name a few - I so could go on......hmmmm...I just heard my tummy growl.

In honor of Annie and her shower, I thought I would give the Blueberry muffins a dry run. I wanted to make sure they would be tasty and moist, so I gave the recipe a try over the weekend. They tasted good, but I wasn't blown over. I was really looking for a knock your socks off, best blueberry muffins in the world, oooh could I have another moment....... I'm still waiting. sigh!

I will gladly share these with you. But, I promise, before Saturday arrives, I will find my muffin mecca, my muffin moment. I am now on a quest!

So let's talk about the recipe. I combed all over the internet - looking at Epicurious, Martha, you name it. I was looking for the quintessential blueberry muffin. Some recipes seemed overly complex, others overly simple. I decided to try the simple recipe. Sometimes the most loveliest items come in the most pure packages. The recipe was very easy to make, and I possibly would make it again. There is something to be said for the simplistic nature of the process and the ingredients....and they were tasty. Take a look at the batter. It was very thick and creamy. The muffins were a success, but I suppose my Expectations were just too Great.









Blueberry Muffins


3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 3/4 cup sifted flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add milk and egg and beat until smooth. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Mix until moistened. Toss blueberries with flour and fold into batter. Fill a well-greased muffin pan 2/3 full with the batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The muffins look Yummy!!! I am looking forward to tasting them!

Annie

Anonymous said...

Nice post, your welcome to join the NO1 food blogging forum at Jeenaskitchen.com

click here for jeenas food recipe cooking forum

See you there.

from
Admin`