Sunday, January 4, 2009

Use Your Words

It's not like I'm an award winning author for goodness sake!  It seems impossible that I'm suffering from writer's block with my little ol' blog.  But, I am, sigh.  I baked these little gems for the holidays - twice.  They were that good.  I've been wanting to share them with you, but I just couldn't find the words.  

The first time I tasted these cookies I was utterly giddy, ridiculously happy, and quite anxious to write about them.  They were awesome.  When baked, the result becomes a buttery tender cookie that pops with the taste and the color of cranberry.  If you're not a cranberry fan, I imagine that you could substitute the cranberries for another fruit, though I couldn't do it.  Not after I tasted them.  The cranberries add the music to the dull dinner party.  




So, I can't explain why I had such writer's block.  Sometimes, I suppose, you just need to curl up in a comfy chair, close your eyes as you remember the aroma of fresh baked cookies, and then use your words.


Cranberry Walnut Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of coarse salt
2 sticks (1 cup) of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugars in a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix until just combined.  Reduce speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Don't over mix. Stir in cranberries, walnuts, and coconut.

Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake cookies until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire wrack to cool.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I know what you mean about not finding the words. These look delicious and I love dried cranberrys. Perfect for the holidays or anytime for that matter!!! :)

Elin Chia said...

Hi Renee,

I have a pkt of dried cranberries and I dun really know what to do with them till I read your post. Will make this for the Chinese New Year festive.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Elin

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

that's a great idea to make these for the Chinese new year. And your cookies look pretty, Renee :)